And The Winner Is....


"Okay, who let this idiot in here?"

After a trip to my doctor which included an x-ray and an EKG, and then a trip to North Fulton Regional Hospital for a full set of labs, another EKG, an IV which contained antibiotics and morphine (yes, it had become that painful) and a cat scan, it was determined that I had a nice case of.....

Pneumonia.

I'm now taking an antibiotic/steroid (Barry? Barry Bonds? Is that you?), a muscle relaxant, and pain pills. The pain pills are the exact same as my wife's.

The best parts of the day were:

****My wife taking off early from work and coming down to the emergency room. The only reason she knew where I was going was because I called her and asked where exactly the hospital was (one of those places you pass a million times but never notice).

****The morphine. I like morphine. I like it a lot. They should sell it over the counter. That would rock. I only asked for a low dosage (which didn't last nearly long enough) because I wanted to be able to drive my van home. In retrospect, I wish I had taken the full blast. We only live four miles away and could've left it there overnight.

****The injection of iodine into my shunt while they were doing my cat scan. That was very cool. Your whole body starts warming up at once. Awesome.

****The cat scan itself was pretty cool. It was like sliding in and out of a big metal doughnut.

****I can see why my wife likes the medical practice she goes to so much. Everybody there was really outgoing and friendly.

****The ER room I was in had cable. Freaking cable. That rocked. Morphine, my wife, and ESPN. It doesn't get much better than that.

I ended up at the hospital because my doctor originally thought I had Pluersy. But he didn't want to send me home without making sure my lungs were free of blood clots. He said I could wait and take it there but it would be a two hour wait. The other option was that he could burn my x-ray onto a DVD and print out all my medical info and go to North Fulton. We both thought that would be faster. We were both wrong.

Instead of just getting the cat scan, I got the whole shebang. Blood tests, urine test, IV, etc. I ended up there for about 4 hours.

Small price to pay.

(originally posted 4-15-2007)

0 comments: